Search This Blog

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hand Dying ribbon

We have all been frustrated when we couldn't find the right color ribbon for our projects haven't we?  I wanted some Peach Parfait ribbon for a card we made at my Stamp a Stack on Saturday but didn't have any.  So I decided to dabble in custom dying my own ribbon. (Here's where it pays to have every re-inker in all the colors!)

 I took white taffeta and dyed it with the Peach Parfait reinker.  I tried it two ways.  I had tried dying some satin ribbon a couple weeks ago by adding reinker to water and dipping the ribbon in.  It came out a little too pale for my taste.  So this time I tried it a little differently.  First I put the reinker on a piece of ribbon undiluted.  Very dark rich color- loved it.  Then I tried getting the ribbon wet first then putting the ink on the ribbon straight from the bottle.  A little bit lighter but still nice and bold.  Here is a pic of them side by side.  The top two are undiluted ink on dry ribbon.


 I cut the ribbon to the desired lenghts, got them wet and then dyed them.  Then layed them on  a paper towel to dry.  (In retrospect, I should have put something under the paper towel to protect my counter. Luckily it didn't stain.  Whew!)
Here is the card with the custom dyed ribbon.  I CASED this card from Karen Squires. I used one of the Bold Bright buttons I got FREE as a Sale-a-bration freebie.  The DSP is Everyday Enchantment-- also a Sale-a-bration freebie.  Love it!!  The sentiment is from Apothecary Art stamp set in the Occasions mini catalog.

You should check out Karen's blog: stampinbythebay.blogspot.com.  She makes gorgeous cards!  You can see her card here.

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial on hand-dying ribbon. Love the colors you used on the card. Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete